Southwest Seattle Historical Society
To promote local heritage through education, preservation and advocacy.
3003 61st Ave SW
Seattle, WA 98116-2810
The Southwest Seattle Historical Society, founded in 1984, is dedicated to education, preservation and advocacy for the Duwamish peninsula, including West Seattle and White Center. In 1995, a 1904 log building built as a carriage house was purchased by the Southwest Seattle Historical Society, restored and converted into its storefront, the "Birthplace of Seattle" Log House Museum. The museum has been open since November 13, 1997, the 146th anniversary of the landing of the Alki party on AIki beach. The landscaping consists of native plants. A granite and marble donor circle adorns the courtyard in tribute to the many people and organizations helping to make this heritage project an award-winning facility and community treasure.