For over 25 years, Futurewise has worked to stop sprawl in order to protect Washington's resources and make our cities livable for and available to all. We focus on preventing the conversion of wildlife habitat, open space, farmland, and working forests to subdivisions and development, while directing population growth into urbanized areas. Our mission also incorporates an important focus on livability, housing, transportation, social & environmental justice and environmental quality.
816 2nd Avenue Suite 200
Seattle, WA 98104
Over the next twenty years, our state will face an over 25% increase in population. This growth will place more pressure on limited land, strain our shorelines, rivers and streams, exacerbate economic, health and equity challenges, and increase impacts of climate change. If we approach this growth collaboratively and with foresight, our environment, our economy and our communities will thrive.
At Futurewise, we are keeping our eye on a long-term agenda of creating sustainable, equitable communities and protecting our state's most critical natural resources. We don't underestimate the work ahead, nor are we intimidated by how long it will take or how difficult it will be to accomplish. We will continue to work in every corner of the state to:
1. Concentrate Growth in Existing Cities
2. Create Great Cities with Access to Housing, Transit, Jobs and Basic Services
3. Make it Easier for People To Get To Where They Need To Go
4. Ensure Clean Healthy Water and Protect Critical Fish and Wildlife Habitat
5. Protect Working Farms and Forests
6. Encourage Economic Development